HOW TO BECOME A SELF-TAUGHT FASHION DESIGNER + START YOUR OWN CLOTHING BRAND – EVEN IF YOU CAN’T DRAW OR SEW!
5 THINGS YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW TO PUT YOUR PASSION FOR FASHION INTO ACTION REGARDLESS OF YOUR SKILL LEVEL OR BACKGROUND!
Do you have a passion for fashion? Do you have some cool ideas for clothing and style? Are you looking for information on how to start a clothing line? Is getting into fashion something that you have been wanting to do? So what has been holding you back? Is not being able to draw holding you back? What about if you can’t sew? Maybe you think that you have to go to fashion school? Well, all of these things that are holding you back are myths. You can become a self-taught fashion designer and start your own clothing brand even if you can’t draw or sew. This page will give you a road map + 5 Key Items Needed to help you put your fashion dreams into action in an highly efficient way. One of the 5 Key Items is Digital Fashion Pro. You will learn more about how this tool can greatly help you below. In fact, the resources listed on this page can help you break into the fashion industry with skill, knowledge and contacts that will aid you in making your fashion dreams and career as a fashion designer a reality.
#1) – DESIGN – THE Ability to create professional digital fashion sketches (even if you can’t draw)
- Why: Apparel Manufactuers, Seamstresses, Pattern-makers & Sample Makers will all need your professional illustrations to make your clothing accurately
- Being able to visually see how you want your design to turn out will inspire you
- Sketches and Clothing Designs is the foundation of being a self-taught fashion designer & clothing brand
- You can land investors, buyer and clients with great looking designs & illustrations
- You can try out different fabrics, colorways, prints, logo-placement to pick the best version of your design
- Answer: Get Digital Fashion Pro Fashion Design Software to create your professional fashion design sketches. The program is easy to use. + You do not have to know how to draw. It comes with hundreds of customizable clothing templates for you to create your designs. It also comes with fashion designer and graphic design training. In fact, you can even professionally design for other clothing lines with the skills you will learn from using Digital Fashion Pro. You can design Women’s wear, Menswear, Baby Clothing, Shoes and Accessories with this software. Digital Fashion Pro is used by industry fashion designers, clothing brands and hundreds of schools worldwide. This program is a fashion design software and course wrapped in one. Check it out here >.
#2) – Ability to Dig Deeper Into Garment Design & How the Fashion Industry Works
Knowing how garment design and contruction works, even if you are not going to be the one to do the sewing or pattern-making, is still a fundamental that you must pick up. The same is true for learning about how to start a fashion brand, what it takes to work with apparel manufacturers, work with retailers, and all things fashion business is also a critical area that you will need to tackle. But luckily for you, there is help that can help you quickly tackle these items in lightening speed.
The Official Step by Step Guide to Starting a Clothing Line Course
This course will help you with so many item that it is too much to list on this page. Some of the highlights include:
- Setting up your fashion business
- Trademarking your line
- Learning garment design, bench-marking & quality control
- How to successfully work with clothing manufacturers anywhere in the world
- How to work with retailers and setting efficient keystone pricing
- Importing your clothing
- Style Forecasting, Budgeting, Avoiding Costly Newbie Mistakes
- How to Find Investors and Putting Together Your Team
- This book / course will give you a greater understanding & insider look of the fashion industrym
- Learn more about this course here >
#3) – Apparel Manufacturing Contacts that Can Make Your Designs / Clothing Line
- Clothing Manufacturers, Sample Makers, Seamstresses and Pattern-Makers can be needed to create your clothing designs
- Often working with manufacturers and resources outside of your country can be cheaper. However, working with suppliers within your country can have an advantage too
- Regardless to if you choose domestic or foreign manufacturing, having access to these resources is a must
- You do not have to know how to sew or make patterns because your clothing manufacturer will make them for you
- We recommend the Ultimate Fashion Contract List eBook. It has over 200 global contacts at your fingertips.
- Learn more about this eBook here >
#4) – The Garment Spec Book of Standard Measurements – Create Measurements For Your Designs
- Again, regardless of if you are doing the sewing or pattern-making, you will do yourself a favor if you learn about garment measurements and grading. You will be able to use what you learned in the Digital Fashion Pro Training, Your Digital Fashion Pro Technical Sketches + this book to help you create your Tech Pack.
- Your Tech Pack is what your clothing manufacturer, pattern-maker or sample maker will need in order to make your designs.
- Sounds complicated? Well, it is and it isn’t. As long as you have these tools, the process is made super simple.
- The items we are recommending on this page form a full curriculum and circle of knowlege that can help you acheive becoming a well rounded full-fledge, self-taught fashion designer.
- Learn more about this book here >
#5) – 14 Skills and Traits of a Successful Fashion Designer
As you set out on your road to be a self-taught fashion designer, you also want to do a self-assessment. In areas where you fill you are weak, you may want to bring in someone to help you in that area. The great news is, if you follow some of the recommendations on this page, you will not have to hire a fashion designer 🙂
- Do you have the tenacity and passion that will drive success
- Do you have a strong attention to detail
- Are you will to engage in a cycle of continuous improvement of self, in design and in business savviness
- Creativity – Do you have more than just one great idea? If you only have one, that is fine for now but you will want to expand as you go.
- Study Fabrics: Read Labels while you are out shopping, Visit Fabric Stores
- Do you have a catchy brand name? If you don’t, you can come up with one as you go. Think about names that not only inspire you, but that will also inspire your clients
- Networking is essential as you build strong industry and non-industry relationships. Example: A great relationship with your clothing manufacturer(s)
- Develop your entrepreneurial skills
- Be able to make an informed decision
- Fashion Design Skills. Are you able to get the ideas out of your head into a format that others will understand. (Digital Fashion Pro will 100% help you here).
- Develop strong communication skills
- Willingness to learn and evolve
- You are willing to get help in areas where you are weak
- Here is information on being a fashion designer from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics
#6) – Bringing it all together
Becoming a self-taught fashion designer requires dedication, passion, and a willingness to learn and experiment.
Here are some steps to help you on your journey:
- Research and study: Start by immersing yourself in the world of fashion design. Read books, magazines, and online resources to learn about fashion history, design principles, garment construction, and industry trends. Familiarize yourself with different design techniques and styles.
- Develop your skills: Practice and refine your design skills. Learn how to sketch fashion figures, create technical drawings, and develop garment patterns. Experiment with different fabrics, colors, and textures to understand how they interact. Learn sewing techniques and garment construction methods through online tutorials or classes.
- Build a strong foundation: Understand the basics of fashion design, including elements and principles of design, color theory, fabric properties, and garment fitting. Study the work of established fashion designers to gain inspiration and insights into their design processes.
- Create a portfolio: As you develop your skills, start building a portfolio showcasing your fashion design work. Include sketches, technical drawings, illustrations, and photographs of any garments you have created. Your portfolio will serve as a visual representation of your abilities and style.
- Network and collaborate: Connect with other individuals in the fashion industry, such as photographers, models, stylists, and fellow designers. Attend fashion events, workshops, and meetups to expand your network. Collaboration with others can provide opportunities to learn, showcase your work, and gain exposure.
- Gain practical experience: Look for opportunities to gain hands-on experience in the fashion industry. This could involve internships, apprenticeships, or volunteering with local designers or fashion companies. Practical experience will enhance your understanding of the industry and provide valuable insights into the design process.
- Continuous learning: Stay updated on fashion trends, industry advancements, and new design techniques. Attend workshops, seminars, and online courses to expand your knowledge and skills. Never stop learning and improving your craft.
- Start your own projects: Begin designing and creating your own fashion pieces. Start small, focusing on specific garment categories or collections. Experiment with different styles, materials, and techniques. Document your work and showcase it through your portfolio or on social media platforms to gain visibility.
- Seek feedback and mentorship: Connect with experienced fashion professionals who can provide guidance and feedback on your work. Join online communities, forums, or local fashion groups where you can receive constructive criticism and advice from others in the industry. Utilize tools like Digital Fashion Pro to jumpstart your knowledge and design capabilities.
- Stay persistent and dedicated: Building a career as a self-taught fashion designer takes time and perseverance. Stay committed to your goals, embrace failures as learning opportunities, and continue honing your skills and style.
Remember, being self-taught requires self-discipline and motivation. Take advantage of the wealth of resources available online, practice consistently, and never stop pushing yourself to learn and grow as a fashion designer.
Using these recommended tools can help you become a powerful self-taught fashion designer in record speed without the huge cost of fashion school and subscription cost. Now, if going to fashion school, learning how to sew bad ideas? Not at all. However, it is nice to have options and resources that can help regardless to what path you choose. In fact, many designers who graduated from fashion school even use these same resources. Minimum estimated cost to gain these skills + have the industry tools that will make your road easier and more efficient is around $530 (Fashion Mogul Starting a Clothing / Fashion Designer Software Kit + Spec Book of Garment Measurements). These 2 items will put you on a solid road of gaining the real-life skills of being a fashion designer and clothing line owner.
Have questions – call us at 888-435-9234 or Email Us via our Contact Page / FAQ
Get Free eGuide on Fashion Design Software + Tips on Starting a Clothing Line
How Does Digital Fashion Pro Work – From Order to Design
Can you become a fashion designer without knowing how to draw?
How to Start a Clothing Line with No Money